Orange & poppy seed muffins
Warm from the oven or as a snack the next day, these fragrant muffins are the perfect treat.
- 4 Weet-Bix™, finely crushed
- 1 1/4 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly coat a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking oil spray, or line with paper liners.
- Combine Weet-Bix, flour, poppy seeds, salt and orange zest in a large bowl and stir well.
- In a jug, whisk together juice, eggs, honey and oil. Add juice mixture to bowl with dry ingredients and stir to just combine.
- Divide batter into prepared tin. Bake 18 minutes until muffin tops are golden and spring back when pressed, or when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Batter will be thin when mixed, but will thicken as the Weet-Bix absorbs the liquid – don’t add any additional flour or you’ll end up with tough muffins!
- If you don’t have wholemeal self-raising flour, replace with regular wholemeal flour and add 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder.
Saturated Fat (g)1
Dietary Fibre (g)2.6