Gluten free berry yoghurt cake
This moist and tender cake, bursting with berries and lemon, and an absolute crowd pleaser.
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat Greek yoghurt, or natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 Gluten Free Weet-Bix™, finely crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly oil a 20 cm round cake tin, line base with a round of baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Use the back of a spoon to rub the zest into the sugar until fragrant. Add lemon juice, eggs, yoghurt, and oil, to the lemon sugar. Whisk for 1 minute until mixture is very smooth and frothy.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, almond meal, crushed Weet-Bix, baking powder, salt, and blueberries. Tip dry ingredients into wet and stir to combine.
- Transfer batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool 20 mins in tin. Use a knife to loosen edges and turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Add an optional lemon glaze: combine 2 - 3 tsp lemon juice with 2 Tbsp icing sugar and whisk until smooth. Brush or drizzle glaze over cooled cake.
- We recommend using a gluten free flour blend that contains Xanthan Gum (sometimes listed in the ingredients as 415). If your blend does not contain Xanthan, we suggest adding 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum powder to the flour in step 3.
Saturated Fat (g)2
Dietary Fibre (g)1.4