Apple & Rhubarb “Pie” Porridge
Sweet apples and tangy rhubarb make for a bright, cheery, and warming winter porridge.
- 4 Weet-Bix™ wheat biscuits
- 1 - 2 stalks rhubarb, leaves removed
- 1 large apple, cored
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup, optional
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups So Good unsweetened milk
- 1 Tbsp mixed nuts, toasted & chopped
- Cut rhubarb into 1 cm pieces, thinly slice or dice apple.
- Place fruit in a saucepan with the water, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 - 15 min – stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and rhubarb has broken down. Transfer half the fruit compote to a separate dish.
- Add Weet-Bix and milk to pan with the remaining fruit – starting with 1 1/2 cups of milk, and adding more as desired. Cook until warmed through, then immediately remove from heat. Divide porridge into two serving bowls.
- Top porridge with reserved fruit, toasted nuts, and a spoonful of Weet-Bix crumbs from the bottom of the pack. Serve warm.
- Add extra milk, or a dollop of natural yoghurt to the porridge before serving.
- Make a larger batch of fruit, and keep in the fridge for up to a week for a quick breakfast solution!
Saturated Fat (g)0.8
Dietary Fibre (g)8.3